Road Safety Partnership Conference 2008
The Heritage Hotel Manila
The Automobile Association Philippines (AAP), in cooperation with the Toyota Motor Philippines Corporation (TMP) and the UP-National Center for Transportation Studies (UP-NCTS), in cooperation with the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC), recently conducted a conference entitled "Road Safety Partnership Conference 2008" with the theme "Responsible Motoring and Driving for the Future" and was held at the Heritage Hotel in Manila.
1. To increase awareness of the National Road Safety Action Plan;
2. To inform stakeholders and secure their support and cooperation for the GRSP Phils. Project;
3. To share best practices in road safety projects.
The conference was attended by 160 participants, from the government, private sectors and NGOs.
Highlights of the Conference
1. The conference was hosted by Dr. Sean Palmiano and Dr. Ma. Sheilah Napalang of the UP-NCTS.
2. Dr. David Go, EVP and Treasurer of TMP, gave the welcome remarks, followed by AAP President
3. Mr. Gus Lagman for the inspirational talk.
4. First presentation for the morning session was by the DOTC Undersecretary for Road Transport, Hon. Anneli Lontoc. She discussed about the Philippines national and regional road safety action plan. She showed the current situation and trend of the traffic accident here in our country. She also talked about the Philippines initiative on how to enhance road safety measures.
Ms. Gayle Di Pietro of the Global Road Safety Partnerships (GRSP) Asia Pacific presented GRSP partnerships, capacity building and knowledge sharing, and good practices.
Mr. Greg Smith (iRAP Asia Pacific) and Mr. Ahmed Amin (AA Malaysia) discussed what's iRAP and what they do and iRAP Malaysia practices.Mr. Smith also discussed prospects for iRAP Philippines.Data Management System (RADSys) was presented by Dr. Ricardo Sigua of the UP-NCTS.
5.All these presentations were followed by the address of the guest of honor and speaker, DOTC Secretary Leandro Mendoza. He was introduced by the DOTC Assistant Secretary for Road Transport Dante Lantin.
6. After Sec. Mendoza's address, "pledge of commitment to road safety partnership" signing took place.
7. All stakeholders present participated in the afternoon, Dr. Cynthia Grace Gregorio, Vice Chancellor for Community Affairs of UP Diliman, presented the UP Diliman Traffic Safety Model Zone. The traffic safety model zone was launched last April 2008. The model would show physical as well as policy-oriented schemes that emphasize and promote safety to serve as a reference that can be replicated in cities and municipalities around the country.
Chairman Thompson Lantion of the LTFRB discussed about the PUV Drivers Training Education. The training is for the bus, jeepney and taxi drivers and is being held at the "Toyota training room" located at the UP-NCTS bldg. in UP Diliman.
Assec. Alberto Suansing of the LTO discussed about managing overloading for motor vehicles. He discussed why we should be concerned overloading and how it is hazardous to the motorists.
Ms. Daisy Jacobo, head of the LTO traffic safety division, talked about the best practices around Asia. How road accident is a global killer, risk factors contributory to road accidents and injury severity. She also mentioned other country's initiatives (Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, India).
8. Synthesis by Dr. Ma. Sheilah Napalang followed after all the presentations.
9. Engr. Afin Pantaleon, AAP Director and Chair of the Road Safey Committee, gave the closing remarks, ending the whole day conference on Road Safety Partnership.